Thursday, January 14, 2010

She's here! Day 0

I am so excited. After much discussion, debate, and thought, I picked up a foster kitty this morning. Yesterday I made all the necessary purchases (new LB, scooper, bowl set) and this morning I set up the bathroom before I head over to the SPCA to choose a cat. I'd gone a few times since, but I wasn't really settled on any one particular cat. When I visited last night I asked the coordinator which cats were the most urgent, and she wasn't really sure. Well this morning I went in and there was someone on the shelter staff there, and she pointed five cats out to me who were in the ISO room (sick with URI) that were going to be put to sleep tonight. I almost broke into tears trying to choose one.

There was a beautiful gray and white female there who had such a nasty cold that her third eyelids were over her eyes. She was crying and crying, and I almost took her. I ultimately decided, however, on a tortie female! She wasn't eating or drinking and had recently had kittens. She was picked up as a stray, and the kittens were never found.I have to give her doxy once a day. She is all set up in the bathroom and doing a bit of exploring now. I got the room all steamed up for her to try to help her clear her sinuses. Her eyes look great, but her nose is nasty, which is probably part of the reason why she isn't eating well. She is nothing but skin and bones... and, well, mammary glands. But she seems to have a heart of gold and is very sweet.

ET has no idea that there is another kitty in the house at this point. The bathroom is normally off limits to him, so that aspect is not a huge change. I am happy too that she is quiet (at least for now!) so hopefully ET will stay calm.

Just to add, I have already designated an "outfit" that will be my quarantine clothes. I CERTAINLY do not want to bring any bug to ET (she did test neg/neg for FIV/FeLV). I also have the door well blocked off. I think we are ready for action!!

No comments:

Post a Comment