Saturday, January 23, 2010

Day 9

Today has been a pretty productive and cat-filled day, although not as much as I would've liked! I volunteered at The Cube (www.phillycats.org) for only a few hours this morning, as I knew I had a lot of studying to do. It was tough to pull myself away from there around noon, but I had enough discipline to do so! I was surprised that we had less than 40 cats there today, given the relatively nice weather we've been having. But after such a crazy time last weekend, I think all the vets and volunteers were grateful for the lower numbers.

While I was there, I asked some of the more seasoned cat caregivers about Lacey's still enlarged mammary gland. I have been palpating it daily, and while she hasn't had any discharge (milk or otherwise) I still think its pretty big, given that she has been away from kittens for about 30 days now. One woman said that it could possibly be a mammary tumor. Surprisingly, this was not something I had considered. FYI, cats are actually very prone to mammary tumors, if the cats are not spayed (more info here). She's such a happy and wonderful cat that I hope that this is all a normal part of being a kitty mom! Regardless, I was already planning on taking her to ACCT Cat Clinic tomorrow. I'm taking her in the morning so I can be sure she can be seen by a vet, and hopefully all will be very well!

1 comment:

  1. I KNOW Lacey will be fine hilary! What a great mom she has......:) Perhaps it is just a clogged milk duct and, if so, I am sure the vets will be able to tell you how to handle it....and you've handled just about everything! It will be great if her heath ( URI ) is cleared up and she can be introduced to ET! They are probably both wondering about each "other"! It'll be interesting to hear about their FIRST mtg!! Looking forward to an update about her health, etc.!

    ReplyDelete