Saturday, April 10, 2010

Meet Ruby and Lilly!!

As I imagine it is in many places, the kitten explosion is finally here. I have been wanting to take in another ACCT cat, but I will only be in the city until late May, and with no guarantees that I'd find the kittens a home, I thought it would be best to not rescue from them (for now)!

I instead contacted the president of Green Street Rescue who I work with regularly at the CUBE to see if she needed a short-term foster placement. She emailed me back the next day saying that she knew of two kittens in need of foster care until they are able to be spayed. The two kittens were rescued from a hoarder a few weeks ago along with over a dozen other cats. They are supposedly 12 weeks old, but are quite small (~2lbs). They've also got a bit of a cold and a lot of eye goop. Despite their rough start, they are SUPER affectionate.

Today I picked up my 2 foster kittens!

They are 2 females who I've named Ruby and Lilly. They are 12 weeks, but small for their age, and Lilly is smaller than Ruby, but incredible affectionate.

Lilly is a brown/black tabby with a single orange toe, and Ruby is a grey mackerel tabby with some orange highlights.

They both are riddled with URI, and I'm cleaning their eyes often and adding a bit of ointment. They're also on some Clavamox to help them kick the infection.

They will be spayed when they are 3 lbs and healthy. The president of the rescue I'm fostering her through thinks she already has a home in mind, but I'm going to ask around just to make sure they find a home (hopefully together)!!

Below are some pics :)





Lilly is on the left, and Ruby on the right. Their eyes are squinted because of the infection, not because of the flash :(

Lacey is doing well. I took her to ETs vet yesterday afternoon. The vet was not too concerned and wanted to take a bit of a conservative approach, and prescribed a different type of antibiotic to see if that helps her infection without giving her gastrointestinal upset. I scheduled a follow-up visit for her in 2 weeks.

ET is perfect as always. The kittens are in a crate, but ET knows they're there. He's chirping a bit, but not too preoccupied. I think it will be very helpful having them in the crate as it prevents the under-the-door-footsies which really get ET going. Lacey couldn't care less!!

1 comment:

  1. They are very cute Hil & so lucky that you are caring for them! I, initially, like the coloring of the lighter one :)! Their eyes look like Lacey's did when you brought her home.....I hope they improve quickly and get some "feistiness" into them! What a very lucky "zoo"! Love you honey!

    ReplyDelete