Monday, May 3, 2010

I've got a disease

It goes way beyond kitten fever.

Lilly and Ruby left Saturday to go to a vet's office about 30 min away where they will be adopted :) . The vet's office is in a very nice area so hopefully they will find a loving, forever home. The woman who helped arrange their placement keeps in regular contact with the office and will let me know as soon as she hears an update. While it is unlikely they will be adopted together now, I have my fingers crossed that they will at least go to multi-cat homes so they will remain well socialized!

I disinfected my whole bathroom today, the crate, litter boxes, etc. Then I went to the shelter... I'm only in Philly for 3 more weeks so I asked if they needed <3 week foster. The director said "how about 1 week?" which of course would be perfect. She then showed me 4 little gray and white fluffballs, 2 males and 2 females. They are going to be spayed and neutered tomorrow, and I will pick them up in the evening. Basically I will just help with their socialization and make sure they recover in a healthy environment. She said that often times kittens get sick if they remain in the shelter after surgery which makes total sense as the surgery depresses their immune system.

I will keep them for about 7 days and then they will go to an AMAZING pet supply shop/adoption center called Buzzy's Bow Wow Meow. It's actually one of my favorite places to go as they have amazing, high quality supplies and the owner strongly believes in adoption and is always hosting adoption fairs and rescue groups in addition to keeping 2 rooms of kittens, who they say they can barely keep "in stock"! So these little ones will make a quick stopover in my place (I've become a bit of a halfway house apparently!) to ensure a healthy recovery... then I will clean the bathroom again, still have 2 more weeks left, and maybe I can squeeze in a few more rescues!!

The shelters truly are overflowing, and getting these guys out not only means they will recover quickly, but it means that they free up another cage which they desperately need. I was very overwhelmed with sadness and stress the last time I went to the shelter, but this time it was much more positive. I walked about 10 dogs and one that I was walking was spotted by a family, who then adopted him! YAY!! I am relatively new to rescue compared to many people who volunteer and work at the shelter, but it's little moments like those (and like rescuing a sick cat like Lacey or these little kittens) that show a light at the end of a tunnel, a reason why we do what we do and put so much into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment