Sunday, August 8, 2010

We're back!

Yesterday my "traveling circus" and I made the drive from Boston to Philadelphia. Thankfully my apartment wasn't hot so ET and Lacey went up with the first load. They immediately found their favorite spots and it was like they'd never left.

The situation at ACCT is always so desperate, and it was tough for me to be unable to help while I was out of the city. So, I headed over after about 2 hours of unpacking to meet my new dog Pen Pal and pick up some fosters. Shawn had strongly suggested I only get one cat, to minimize mess and hassle to me. I should've listened to him! I made a compromise in my head to just get 2 (a mom and baby, or 2 babies) but of course when I got there I couldn't just take 2. Thankfully, I didn't deviate too far... I pulled a mom with one baby, and a single baby around the baby's same age. So, I have a mom and 2 babies, one of which is hers.

I brought the family home and put them in my bathroom, and mom howled for about 15 minutes. I already was emotional from being overtired and just the general transition of going back to Philly, and I was pretty upset for a while, convinced I'd made the wrong choice or acted too quickly. I don't mind having my bathroom slightly "out of commission" while I have kittens- I don't even mind giving meds- but I can't have a screaming cat or kitten in my apartment. It makes me way too anxious to think about a neighbor hearing and complaining and making a big hassle.

Thankfully, mom seemed to settle down after that initial period. I worry she might be in heat, so I'm going to try to schedule her for a spay in a week or so. Her baby is still nursing, but she is eating on her own too so milk is not critical (most mommas lose their milk supply after they are spayed). Then I can try to find mom a home or have her placed in an adoption center, bringing my foster household down to 2. The kittens are both about 4-5 weeks, and as soon as they reach 2lbs they can go in for spay surgery.

Everyone did great last night. I was very worried about mom howling, but I only heard a few squeaks and squeals from the kittens as they wrestled! Mom found a great spot to lounge- on the top of the crate on the fluffy bath mat. The kittens can't get to her when she is up there! When I went in this morning to feed everyone the momma was so happy and purring and making "happy feet" (opening and closing their toes, sometimes kneading into a surface or just into the air) all over the mat. She did great eating as did the kittens.

Mom's name is "Karen," which I kind of like and I think I will keep. The babies both have crazy names, but I think the daughter is going to be "Trixie" and the singleton "Diamond." We'll see :)

Below are some pics of them on their first day with me.

Singleton:



Mom and Baby:




Thanks for reading! I have a new cat Pen Pal too. I'm hoping to meet her today and will post about her later :)

1 comment:

  1. You just have a "huge" heart Hilary & it's difficult for you to see all of those animals in desperate situations. :( They are lucky to have you....you will save many a life, but unfortunately you can't save them all ( even though I know that you want too <3! ) Your compassion and love for all of these animals makes you the wonderful human being that you are! Smile as you think about Lacey, Diego and all of the others that have a better life now because of you! <3

    ReplyDelete