Wednesday, December 8, 2010

So much has happened.

Well, I'm officially a blog failure. Things just got so busy... I had no idea that essentially the last post I made was after I lost Trixie and Karen. Wow have we come a long way!

Diamond is perfect. She's alive. She got her FVRCP vaccine ever 2 weeks, was spayed at 2.5 lbs, and finished her kitten rounds of FVRCP and Rabies around 16 weeks. She learned how to play with ET and Lacey, endured hours of forced grooming by Lacey, learned that biting and scratching hurts, and just became a fantastic, fantastic cat. She has the loudest purr and absolutely loved to snuggle.

I can't explain my happiness when my boyfriend offered to take her for me as a companion for his shy cat, Baby. So, up to Boston she went, and she's doing fantastic. She's fluffy, happy, putting weight on, and enjoying life. I finally got to see her again over Thanksgiving and again this past weekend. I don't think she remembers me, but she's such a fantastic, well socialized cat that I still got a lot of snuggles. Now that he has 2 cats and I have 2, we're both at our max for "permanent cats" for we're not sure we could have more than 4 in our future home :) I'm so glad that Baby is now learning how to be more social, too. It's so win-win, and one of my most rewarding fosters.



After Diamond went up north, I think I waited about 3 days before getting the itch to foster again. I stalked the Philly Urgents facebook page for a few days and kept going back to another cat, ironically named "Diamond." I think that is initially what attracted me.



"Diamond" was found 2 weeks prior in South Philly, as a stray. "She" was having trouble getting around with bleeding, blistering wounds on the bottom of all four feet. She was taken into intake at ACCT, sedated and had her feet scrubbed. She was given pain meds and advocated in urgent emails. Nonetheless, she waited 2 weeks, during which time she came down with a cold. I went in, asked for her, and was told that she wasn't Urgent, and had finished her meds.

(Here I'll say that "Diamond" actually was a neutered male, so I will now refer to his proper sex!)

I found him in Isolation, pissed off with a cone streaked with medicine. He had a cold, a soft meow, and was a challenge to shove into the carrier. I took him to the clinic to get him a new round of medication for his URI, and to have his feet looked at. All of his feet were caked in litter- in his original photo he had shredded newspaper for litter, but now he had clay, and it was completely filling his wounds. He tested negative for Feline AIDS and Leukemia, got antibiotics, topical feet meds, and was determined to be a neutered male.

I took him home :) Set him up in the bathroom where he proceeded to leave little bloody footprints around for a few days. I changed his named to "Achilles," wanting a name that was a bit of a play on words to describe his odd injuries (which I think were caused by walking across hot asphalt). I took his cone off- his coat was dull and in gross shape from the street and then from lack of grooming. He kicked his cold pretty easily and had a great appetite.

I could go on and on, but I will tell you where we are today. Achilles is a fully integrated member of my household :) He gets along FANTASTICALLY with ET and Lacey, is a huge snuggler, has a super endearing chirp meow and loves to play. He's put on weight, was microchipped, and is totally ready for his forever home. It will not be easy for me to let him go because he is SO perfect, but I know that there is someone out there who needs a perfect cat, and for that person Achilles will be perfect :)

First day in foster:









ET and Lacey are fantastic. I will (really try to!) update later with some photos and updates about them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment